National Assembly Capacity Needs Assessment 2015 Revised
- Book Details
Volume: First Edition | Pages: 136 | Year Published: 2015
Publisher: National Institute For Legislative Studies
Author: Prof. Ladi Hamalai | Dr. Jake Dan-Azumi
Needs Assessment of the Legislators and Legislative Staff of the National Assembly as it applies to the functions of the Legislature
Is to review the capacity needs of the Legislators National Assembly and their Staff and to recommend for the expansion of the needs assessment to include State Houses of Assembly and indeed the ECOWAS Parliamentarians and their staff.
1. Since NILDS is the capacity building institute for the State Houses of Assembly, Needs assessment of State Houses of Assembly should be included. 2. The preface of the book indicates that the assessment only paid attention on key committees of the National Assembly. This should be revisited to accommodate all the committees, because each committee has a unique role to play in the legislative practice and procedure. 3. The assessment does not cover the Public Complaints Commission which is also another agency of the National Assembly Service. 4. Index was not provided in the assessment.
1. There is need to undertake follow up research to ascertain level of implementation of the recommendations of the 2015 assessments.
2. The oversight and public hearing manuals need to be updated to capture the latest techniques and challenges of oversight and that of conducting public hearings.
3. There is also need to include state Houses of Assembly and ECOWAS Parliament in the Needs Assessment, because it is within the mandate of the Institute to train them.
4. The next phase of the assessment should cover, if not all the committees, then more committees compared with the last assessment.
5. Because of the importance of the Public Complaints Commission in the role of the legislature in addressing public complaints, probably, through Senate and House Committees of public petition, the assessment should be reviewed to capture Public Complaints Commission.
6. Chapter three which dealt with legal frame work and sources of power should be beefed up. The information provided in discussing sources of powers, sources of procedural authority and the legislative process can be improved upon.
7. the assessment should also provide index
Reviewer: Dr. Usman Ibrahim
Rank: RF II
Department: Legislative Support Services/ Bills and Legislative Drafting
Date Of Commencement: not available
Date Of Completion: not available